Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride & Arsenic Reduction Elements (set of 2)|
- Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride & Arsenic Filter are designed to be used in conjunction with the Black Berkey® Filter only
- Constructed of: Non-leaching Polypropylene #5 that is BPA-Free plastic
- Use with Berkey Systems: Travel, Big, Royal, Imperial, Crown and Berkey Light
Berkey PF-2™ reduction elements are designed for use in conjunction with Black Berkey™ water purification elements. The Berkey PF-2™ reduction elements attach to the bottom of the Black Berkey™ water purification elements and sit in the lower chamber to effectively "absorb" the following unwanted elements found in drinking water.
- - Fluoride
- - Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
- - MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether)
- - Other residual heavy metal ions
The number of Berkey PF-2™ in the bottom chamber must match the number of Black Berkey Purification Elements in the top chamber; for example, 4 Black Berkey Purification elements would require 4 Berkey PF-2™.
Replacements:Under normal conditions, it is recommended that each set of two Berkey PF-2™ elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 litres). If the system is refilled about one time per day, the Berkey PF-2™ elements should be replaced annually, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the Berkey PF-2™ elements should be replaced about every six months.
- - FLUORIDE: Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction). Absorbs Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Fluorosilicate, Fluorosilicic Acid (aka Hydrofluorosilic Acid.
- - ARSENIC: This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
CAUTION: FILTERS MUST BE PURGED/ PRIMED PRIOR TO USE. Do not install before reading or viewing installation procedures - Do not screw on Berkey PF-2™ elements more than eight revolutions.
Purging/ Priming Procedures: (Click here for PDF file on Purging/ Priming Berkey PF-2™ )
- Remove the blue caps in place and remove the stickers. Wash the exterior of each Berkey PF-2™ element with mild dish soap.
- With clean hands, remove both blue caps from each end of each Berkey PF-2™ filter element.
- Place the rubber-purging button (tan coloured) onto one end of a Berkey PF-2™ element and align the hole in the button with the hole in the Berkey PF-2™ element.
- Press the purging button up against a sink faucet so that the purging button creates a seal between the faucet and the Berkey PF-2™ element.
- While holding the purging button against faucet, turn on the COLD water
gently, allowing water to fill the cavity of the Berkey PF-2™ element and discharge from the opposite end. Allow water to discharge for at least 20
seconds or until water runs clear whichever is longer. If the residue is still
present, please repeat the process until the water runs clear. Hint: Place
thumb on top of the faucet to apply pressure and create a better seal.
- Turn the Berkey PF-2™ element the other direction and purge the other end repeating steps 3-5. The element has now been successfully purged.
Purge each additional Berkey PF-2™ element repeating steps 3-6.
Installation Procedures: (Click here for PDF file on Purging/ Priming Berkey PF-2™ )
- Remove upper chamber from filtration system and place it upside down on a counter so that the stems of the Black Berkey® purification elements are facing upward.
- With the water flow-arrow pointing away from the upper chamber (the Berkey PF-2™ elements have threads on one end only) screw the Berkey PF-2™ elements onto the stems of each (already primed) Black Berkey® element eight full revolutions. Notes: Do not screw on more than eight revolutions as this may damage the internal media screen and the flow arrow should point away from the upper reservoir.
- Replace the upper reservoir onto the lower reservoir (the Berkey PF-2™’s should now be hanging inside the lower reservoir). Fill the upper reservoir with water and let it drain into the lower reservoir. When the lower reservoir is full, discard the first batch of water, which may contain residual process dust. Your purification system is now ready for use.
- Do not boil this element.
- The water temperature will rise during the purging process. Therefore use only COLD water to purge elements as the use of hot water may result in uncomfortable or unsafe water temperatures.
- Berkey PF-2™ elements reduce the filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
- When the lower reservoir is full of water, the Berkey PF-2™ filters will be immersed.
- When the water level in the lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ elements, it is normal for small amounts of water to burp through threads connecting Berkey PF-2™ elements to Black Berkey® purification elements.
- If residual process dust is still visible after purging, repeat the purging and installation process as described above. If residual process dust continues to appear in your Berkey® system, it may take up to 10 batches of water to cease.
- If/when you conduct the "Red Food Color Test" for the Black Berkey® purification elements, you must remove the Berkey PF- 2™ elements first. Failure to do so may result in the voiding of the Berkey PF-2™ element warranty.
- The lower reservoir in most gravity purification systems has a two to three-gallon capacity and a typical household uses about one refill per day. We recommend that the upper reservoir is filled at night. The water from the upper reservoir should be purified by morning. It is normal for the purification process to slow down significantly when the water level in the lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ elements.